About David (Dave) Camp
My name is David Camp and I have recently retired from active dairy farming due to a back injury. I am a 5th generation dairy farmer with over 40 years experience to draw from.
As a school leaver I completed a four year engineering apprenticeship as a Fitter & Turner at A & G Price Ltd in Thames, before commencing my career in farming. I worked on wages for a year, before moving to 2 year contract milking, followed by many years share milking. For the last 24 years I have owned and operated my own farms.
During this time I have farmed all over the Waikato – Hauraki Plains and also the West coast of the South Island. This have given me valuable experience on most soil types and conditions.
One of my goals had always been for my herd to be the top BW and PW herd in New Zealand, and I had 100% recorded ancestry in our herd. As of May 2018 the herd was 2nd BW and 2nd PW herd nationwide, falling just short of my target.
One of my recent achievements has been the success with Glen Koru bulls, we now have four that have made it through to the bull team. Currently our bull “Glen Koru Beckon” is the top Bull on the RAS list of all breeds. This is an achievement I am very proud of.
It was a sad day when both the farm and herd sold, however I can still work within the dairy farm industry by sharing my wealth of experience to others.
And the 6th generation of farmers in the family is already well on its way with our youngest son starting his career contract milking for his grandmother.
- NZ Trade Certificate in Fitting Turning and Machining (A) (B) 1978
- NZ Trade Certificate Farm Management 530106 (A) (B) 1986
- NZ Trade Certificate Farm Management 530101 (C) (D)
- Waikato Technical Institute – Practical Farm Management
- Firearms Licence
- Growsafe course
- 1994 North Waikato Area Winner of Waikato Sharemilker of the Year and winner of the Outstanding Endeavour award.
- 1999 Central Waikato Area Winner of Waikato Sharemilker of the Year and winner of Environmental award.